Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Timely, well-written novel by a new-to-me author


No One Ever Asked by Katie Ganshert

My one main regret about this novel is that I read a digital copy which I cannot share, because this is definitely a book to recommend and pass along to reading friends.  I think a paperback copy to loan out will find a permanent place on my book shelf.

Katie Ganshert details the lives of three different women in a school district.  Jen, an adoptive mother of a girl from an African country, Camille, an active mom of three children, and Anaya, an African American who is a first year teacher in an affluent school district.  The author portrays the struggles they share:  a challenged marriage, difficulties in adoption, racism, diabetes and even sexual harassment.

Ganshert weaves a complex, multi-layered tale that mirrors real life problems.  Her characters are real and relatable.  By the end of the book, each character experiences growth and hope.
My one disappointment was that although the women would have claimed to be believers, Christianity didn’t seem to impact their behavior very much.  The church or the Bible didn’t seem very relevant to the answers to the problems they faced despite having Bible study groups pray or verses occasionally quoted.  And maybe this is part of the problem:  a vibrant faith isn’t impacting problems in society today.

Katie Ganshert brings these challenges to the forefront in a powerful way by using fiction.  It is my hope that this book will stimulate conversation and change.  She has given me much to ponder.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for this, my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment