Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 5, 2019

Futuristic Suspense by Steven James


Synapse by Steven James

Steven James has created a future world where naturals (humans), artificials (robots) and plussers (humans with artificial enhancements) exist together.  In this setting he has staged a suspense.  Kestrel Hathaway, a Methodist minister, is grieving from the loss of her baby daughter and stumbles upon the bombing of the plant where the artificials are manufactured.  Next, she discovers that she is now targeted to be killed.  Nick Vernon, special agent, steps in to investigate Kestrel’s involvement in the bombing.  Once he knows she is innocent, together they try to figure out where the next attack will be and which organization is behind it.  The plot gets more complex and Kestrel and Nick end up in the center of the next attack.  The question for readers is, can the attack be thwarted and who will survive?

I found this book to be a departure from Steven James’ original series about Patrick Bowers.  Although I liked his original books, this one seemed less taut and less adrenalin-laced.  It was, however, much more thought-provoking asking questions such as “What does it mean to be a human? And what is faith and who can exercise it?”
The plot kept me guessing and near the end I found myself siding with the “bad guys”.  If this scenario would play out in real life, I might find myself on the other side of the debate from the main characters. 

I am not sure of the plausibility of this story, but it makes for an interesting read and wasn’t too technical for the average reader.
 
The author left many questions unanswered, so I am wondering if there might be a sequel in the works.  If so, I would read it.

In summary, I enjoy Steven James’ writing and stories and recommend this one to those readers who enjoy suspense with a different setting.  I received a copy of this from the publisher and this is my honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment