Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 17, 2019

New to me author, Shawn Smucker


Light from Distant Stars by Shawn Smucker

Cohen is trying to figure out why his dad is lying in a puddle of blood in the basement of the family funeral home.  Did he kill his father?  While he tries to answer that question, the reader goes on flashbacks of Cohen’s early family life to determine how they arrived at this point.

This book probes the father-son relationship that seems to be prevalent in our culture.  “Maybe that’s the problem with fathers and sons—they lose each other. . . Everyone loses their dad.  It doesn’t matter if you want to or not.  It’s finding him again that’s the hard part.  I don’t know if that happens very much.”  Cohen counsels Thatcher, a troubled teen he meets in the hospital.

This book is part fiction, part philosophy, part supernatural-thriller and part coming of age novel.  The author was new to me, but this book made me curious to try his other books.

It was well-written and the plot moved along at a decent pace, but I didn’t find a character that resonated with me.  I definitely felt like I was an outsider looking in, trying to figure out what was happening.

I was happy with the resolution of the book.  It does offer hope and doesn’t strand readers in a dark place.

Readers who enjoy Billy Coffey, or Ted Dekker, may find much to like in this book.  I am grateful to  the publisher for the free copy I received for this, my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment