Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 2, 2024

New to Me Writer

 

Miss Morgan’s Book Brigade by Janet Skeslien Charles

This book is based on the true story of Jessie “Kit” Carson, who travels to France in 1918 to join the CARDS, an organization of women dedicated to helping the devastated French people. Jessie’s job was to set up libraries to encourage the women and children of the French countryside.

The dual storyline also follows a NYPL librarian and aspiring writer in 1987 who has discovered Jessie’s story and wants to bring it to life.  She meets one of Jessie’s assistants and learns the rest of the story.

Both sets of characters are realistic, strong and grew through difficult circumstances. They made different choices than I would have and the author included a few scenes that I would have preferred not to read.

But overall, I enjoyed the book.  I am grateful to the publisher for the arc in exchange for this, my honest opinion.   

No comments:

Post a Comment