Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman




“Bod” Owens grows up in a graveyard.  He is cared for by the inhabitants there after a man named Jack murders his family.  He learns the ways of the dead from the ghosts and his other-worldly guardian Silas.  In the graveyard he comes to know many diverse characters including a Hound of God, ghouls, and the Sleer.  His adventures include a trip to the land of the ghouls and a brief foray to school.  Eventually, he must leave the graveyard permanently, but what will happen when he comes face to face with his family’s murderer?

This book’s setting and characters were a bit bizarre.  However, I found it very readable and difficult to put down.  As a parent and a teacher, I would want to have read this book before I let my child or student  read it.  Mr. Gaiman does not write from a Christian worldview and his view of death is in direct opposition to the biblical view.  In my opinion, younger children, even avid readers, should not read this book.  They do not have the skills to think critically about the characters and story.  Even though I enjoyed this book, loaned to me by our school librarian, I would not recommend it, unless the reader is an older child able to handle the contents and characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment