Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Spiritual Fantasy/Adventure


Soul’s Gate  by James Rubart

Reece Roth has received a prophecy that he will teach four persons to fight for the hearts of others by entering into their souls.  They will wage spiritual warfare and bring freedom to those oppressed by the enemy.  Now he must convince the four of that calling.  Dana, Brandon and Marcus seem willing, but what of the fourth?  This task is not without many dangers, as Reece well knows.  As his protégés become stronger, the enemy takes notice and their families and Reece come under attack.  Are Dana, Marcus and Brandon ready to take on the challenge to stand against the enemy and deliver Reece?   

James Rubart writes an intriguing novel based on the premise that spiritual warfare can be waged inside a person’s soul.  Rubart admits that this possibility doesn’t really exist, but it makes for an interesting read.  This novel reminded me a lot of his novel Rooms, which I found interesting as well.  His style is straightforward and the plot moves along, although I found the beginning of the novel to be confusing when he was introducing multiple characters at once.  It didn’t help that for some reason the copy I received from the publisher would not display the first page of each chapter on my nook.  As I continued to read, I became more involved in the plot and found myself challenged to spend more time in prayer.  This story, because it is fiction, may not be found to be doctrinally mainline, but it does challenge the reader not to settle for a blasé faith.  If you enjoyed Peretti’s Piercing the Darkness novel, you will enjoy this one, too.  The publisher gave me a free copy and this is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment