Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lazarus' story


When Jesus Wept by Brock and Bodie Thoene

This is the first book in the Jerusalem Chronicles.  The Thoenes are prolific and accomplished writers and researchers.  In this book they cover Jesus’ relationship to Lazarus.  Lazarus was a vineyard owner in Bethany.  He was quite successful and was well-known in his hometown and Jerusalem.  The Thoenes create a scenario where Lazarus nurses the homeless boys in Jerusalem through a deadly plague.  He is exposed to the illness and becomes very ill.  Jesus delays in coming to him and Lazarus dies.   When  Jesus does arrive , he brings Lazarus back to life.  The interesting part of the story is that it is told from Lazarus’ view point in heaven.

Of course, the storyline is no surprise because it follows the Biblical narrative.  However, the Thoenes enrich it with many probable details to make it flow.  I found the details to enhance the story, rather than detract from it.  I was captivated by their portrayal of Lazarus and found myself disappointed when the book seemed to end rather abruptly.  This is a very enjoyable book and it moves quickly through the plot due to the Thoenes ‘clear prose.  I found myself wanting to read the next book.  I appreciate receiving a free copy from Booksneeze and this is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment