Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Elizabeth Musser's latest novel


When I Close My Eyes by Elizabeth Musser

I have read some of Elizabeth Musser’s other novels, including her acclaimed The Swan House.  This is her latest novel, featuring Josephine, a writer, and her family.  Josephine is a gifted author, but suffers from depression.  The author relates her story, switching from different character viewpoints to give the reader the complete picture.  The depression, coupled with family secrets, threatens to overtake Josephine.  However, satisfyingly enough, the truth wins out.

This novel deals with some gritty issues including depression and suicide, but is laced with a silver thread of hope.  The author admits to struggling with depression herself and bravely writes about it in the epilogue of the book.  I believe that readers who also suffer from depression will find some hope and practical help here.

The characters were well-written easily garnered my sympathy.  I found myself wondering how they were doing even after I finished the book.  Even though Josephine so obviously struggled with her demons, I admired her faith and tenacity.  It is a sign of good writing that I found myself rooting for Henry, “the villain,” to come to a true experience of faith.  I also found myself wanting to read Josephine’s novels—they sounded so compelling!

The plot was written so well that I had a hard time putting down this book.  It unfolded at a good pace and had some twists that surprised me.

I really enjoyed this book and think other readers will, too, especially those who enjoy contemporary women’s fiction with some substance and hope.  Many thanks to Elizabeth Musser, who created a work that will help readers even while it entertains them.  I am grateful to the publisher for this free copy of the book in exchange for this, my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment