Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Fascinating historical fiction set in West Virginia


When Silence Sings by Sarah Loudin Thomas

I loved so many things about this book:  its setting, characters, plot, and writing.  Being a West Virginia girl, I enjoyed the story taking place in some historic towns in West Virginia, not too far from where I grew up.  The author admits to bending history a little to fit her story, but I think it is fascinating to read about a place near to your heart.

 The characters were complex, intriguing and well-written.  I loved that they grew and changed within the pages of the novel.  My favorite was Ivy, or maybe it was Coleman or Serepta.  They were all so interesting.

The plot was well-paced and kept me involved.  There were some surprises, and one disappointment to me:  Charlie.  I missed his presence in the story.  I found myself hoping that a sequel will follow and allow Charlie to re-enter the lives of the characters.

The writing was vaguely reminiscent of some of Billy Coffey’s southern fiction that has a pinch of the supernatural in it.  I was always weighing the events to see if they could be “real” or not.

This book grabbed my interest for all the reasons I mentioned above.  I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction or southern fiction.  I am grateful to the publisher for a complimentary copy in return for this, my honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment