Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Michigan Stars in This Book


The Words Between Us by Erin Bartels

Robin Windsor is a fourteen-year-old girl who has lost both of her high profile parents to prison.  She is sent to live with her estranged grandmother and eccentric parrot in a house trailer at the edge of a cemetery.  She adjusts to the change remarkably well, perhaps due to the unique friendship she strikes up with Peter Flynt.  They both love books and he reads them and passes them along to her.  The books play a prominent part in her life, and re-surface at a critical point in her later life.

This book had lots that I loved:  a bookstore, quirky characters (including a temperamental parrot), an art prize project, and the setting in a Michigan city.  The captivating plot switched between the past and present, but that only added to the story’s suspense.  I also loved the development of the characters, and learning what had shaped them.  The unique parts of the plot added to my fascination, such as Robin’s parents being in prison, and her “lost years” spent at Lake Superior. The book’s resolution was satisfying.

My disappointments were few.  The book ended too quickly and I wanted to see more of Robin’s spiritual journey.  The author left some questions unanswered, so perhaps there might be a sequel.  I would definitely read it! 

Erin Bartels was a new author to me, but I plan to check out any other books she has written.  I am grateful to the publisher for the free digital copy in exchange for this, my honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment