Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Chamber by John Grisham

Sam is a member of the KKK who has planted bombs in synagogues and other public places. His last bombing attempt goes awry when he kills 2 boys and severely injures their father. Despite a couple of trials with hung juries, he ends up on death row in Mississippi. His grandson Adam, who has grown up estranged from Sam, becomes his lawyer in the final days before Sam's scheduled execution. The book chronicles Adam's attempts to save Sam from the death penalty. In the process, he comes to know and respect and even love his grandfather. Adam learns more about his family's dysfunctional past and brings a measure of healing to his family.

Having read several of Grisham's other books, his style was familiar to me. What caught me by surprise was the lack of the trademark Grisham twist at the end of the book. I was disappointed. It seemed to me that Grisham wrote this book solely to express his feelings regarding the death penalty. The story did make me think, but it did not change my opinion. I don't think I would recommend this book. Grisham has written many other books and this is not one of his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment