Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 4, 2011

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Since I have an e-reader, I have been reading more of unfamiliar authors. Aimee Bender was new to me, and her book made me think. The main character, Rose, is gifted with the ability of being able to taste the emotions of the persons who prepared her food. This gift she considers a curse, though others want to use it for their benefit. As the story progresses, she becomes aware of others in her family who also have a special skill. She is able to find ways to cope with hers, but other family members aren't as resilient. In his struggle to cope with his gift, her brother disappears, but not before he shares his secret with her. Rose and her family try to move beyond their loss, and as the book closes, the author gives us hope that Rose has succeeded.

This book made me think about the gifts that we possess. Our gifts are not for our own benefit, but to be used for others. As a believer, this makes sense to me, but the author seems to think that the discomfort of the gift outweighs the benefit. As Monk says, "It is a blessing . . . and a curse."

If you enjoy a "psychological" novel that explores family relationships, has a bit of fantasy thrown in, then I think you would enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment