Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller






Chris, this one is for you!

My oldest son has been telling me that I need to read this book for awhile now.  And so I have!  Once I started it, I couldn’t put it down.  Don Miller writes in a very conversational style.  I felt as if I knew him once the book was done.  I appreciated his honest and fresh perspective on the Christian life, which he calls Christian spirituality.  I had been afraid that I would find things in the book that I would object to, but I found that wasn’t usually the case.  Don seems to have a good grasp of his subject matter.    He emphasizes salvation, sin, grace, confession, love, worship and community.

He challenged me to see my world and the people in it differently.  He challenged me to love God more and to share His love with others more.  There may be subtle points at which our theologies differ, however, it seemed that he nailed all the really important ones. I was very glad to read the part he wrote on tithing, as I think that is often overlooked today. If you enjoy a book that may stretch your thinking in matters of living out your faith, you should probably include this in the pile in your night stand.  Thanks Jan, for loaning me this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment