Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 26, 2023

Fifties Family Fiction

 The All-American by Susie FInkbeiner 

This novel takes an in-depth look at an American family in the early 1950’s. The father, a well-known novelist, his English wife and their three children plus a daughter-in-law round out the main characters of the story. 

The story was told through the eyes of the two sisters, Bertha, and Flossing. I found the characters endearing, especially Flossie. They were so well-written that I expected them to walk out of the pages of the book.

 

The book was more character-driven than plot-driven, but I enjoyed the characters so much that I had to keep reading. I found it interesting that this book dealt with the Communist concern of that era. From the title, I had expected more of a sports novel, and baseball was woven through it but was not too heavily emphasized for a non-sports lover like me. 


I would love to read a sequel to this novel and discover the rest of the story for these lovable characters. Readers who enjoy Susie Finkbeiner’s fiction will find much to enjoy about this novel. I am grateful to the publisher and netgalley for the complimentary copy in return for this, my honest review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment