Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

 The Year of Jubilee by Cindy Morgan  

This was the story of Grace Mockingbird’s thirteenth year in the small town of Jubilee, Kentucky. It was set in the 1960’s in the heart of civil unrest in the south. Grace deals with the pain of having a fractured relationship with her mother, the prolonged illness of her younger brother and the disturbance of civil unrest.

 

This novel was written beautifully. The author tackled many difficult subjects very realistically. It was an emotional read that drew the reader in. 


There were times when I didn’t like the choices Grace made or the way her mother or sister treated her. Her father, however, was exemplary in his love and affection for her. I appreciated how the author used the epilogue to tell us the end of the characters I had come to know.

 

If Ms. Morgan authors another book, I would definitely read it. Readers who enjoy coming of age fiction, southern fiction, or stories about the fight for civil rights would enjoy this book. I am grateful to the publisher via netgalley for the complimentary arc in return for this, my honest opinion.   

No comments:

Post a Comment