Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 5, 2021

Historical fiction based in a southern black community

 

When Stars Rain Down by Angela Jackson-Brown

Opal Pruitt just wants a quiet summer where she can be like the white girls her age—carefree and happy.  But as a “colored” seventeen-year-old girl on the cusp of adulthood, that is not to be her lot.  The summer brings much turmoil between the blacks and the Klu Klux Klan.   Opal ends up playing a significant part in the race war between the two groups, much to her regret.

This book was written from Opal’s point of view and gives the reader an inside look at how black communities functioned in the days before the Civil Rights movement.  She loves her white employers but knows they do not understand her.  She loves her extended family and depends on them heavily but knows that they are unable to truly protect her and that they may die trying.

The author populates the book with many interesting characters, including Opal, Granny, Lucille and Cedric.  My favorite was Miss Lovenia.  She was mysterious and perplexing.  She seemed to understand Opal and wanted to try and help her, but her methods made both Opal and me uncomfortable.  I think I would side with Opal’s Granny and say she practiced “hoodoo” regardless of what Miss Lovenia claimed.  She did add an interesting element to the story though.

I appreciated this book because it gave me a glimpse into the life of a person different than myself.  I admired Opal because despite the hate that existed, she still had hope for a better life.   I am grateful to the publisher for a free copy in exchange for this, my honest review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment